Congratulations to Shelly Ulaj and Melissa Castro,
recipients of the first quarterly Outstanding Mentor/Mentee Award for Summer
2013!
Each season of the GTWT Mentoring Program year, a
mentor/mentee pair will be selected to receive the Outstanding Mentor/Mentee
Award and be featured on the GTWT media network. The award recipients exemplify
the uniquely formative impact of mentorship while serving as an inspiration to
everyone in the GTWT family.
Shelly and Melissa met and became a Mentor/Mentee pair in 2012.
Shelly is the founder and CEO of the non-profit Women Empowered, a Los
Angeles-based network of female professionals. Melissa is a recent high school
graduate and is entering her freshman year at Mills College in Oakland,
California.
We
were given the honor of asking Shelly and Melissa some questions about their
relationship and what the GTWT Mentoring Program means to them.
Melissa Castro:
What does your mentor and the mentoring program mean to
you?
I
appreciate the mentoring program for bringing together such amazing successful
women with impressionable young ladies such as myself. Shelly has become more
than a mentor. I do not have many adults I can confide in but having Shelly as
a mentor has provided me with both academic and emotional support.
Describe a memorable moment, occasion, or accomplishment
you share with your mentor.
It is because of Shelly that I have
had the opportunity to try sushi for the first time. It might seem silly but it
meant a lot to me. No one takes the time to introduce me to things I have never
done before. That night was memorable because not only did we have dinner
and attend a benefit concert but we also got the chance to get to know each
other a little better.
How has your mentor positively impacted your life? What
is the most important thing you learned from her?
Shelly has been a wonderful role
model to me. She has inspired me to continue down the path of non-profit
organizations. Shelly has taught me that in life I need to do what it is I am
passionate about and hard work towards whatever it is that I want.
Would you consider being a mentor yourself in the future?
Having a mentor has had a positive
impact in my life and one day I want to have the same impact on someone else
whether it is through mentoring or being volunteered in the community.
Please describe your experience at GTWT.
I am grateful for everything Girls Today Women Tomorrow has
done for me. They have opened the door to so many amazing opportunities, one of
them being able to meet Shelly. Girls Today Women Tomorrow is one of the main
reasons why I have gained confidence in myself and my ability to become
successful in the future.
Shelly Ulaj:
Why did you decide to become a mentor? What drew you to
mentor at GTWT?
I decided to become
a mentor because I always wanted one growing up and I saw a close correlation
between myself and the girls of GTWT. Our backgrounds are very similar
and I believe in order to make a true impact in the community you need to start
with the youth.
I found GTWT back in
2010 and we’ve been working together ever since. I was initially drawn to
GTWT because of the need that needed to be met – mentors. And then I
immediately fell in love with the girls.
What do you most enjoy about being a
mentor?
I am continuously
inspired by Melissa. But what I love the most is the opportunity to
really connect with a young girl and watch both of us grow throughout the
experience. I love offering advice and guidance and acting like a big
sister. I don’t have a sister and now I know what it feels like and it’s
a very special bond.
Melissa and I have
shared many memorable moments but I think my favorite was watching her walk
across the stage and receive her high school diploma. I was with her
family and seeing how proud they were of their daughter and the tears of joy
warmed my heart. It reminded me how important family is and how much I
felt a part of her family.
What does the mentoring program mean to
you?
The mentoring
program gives mentors an opportunity to make a difference and I only hope that
my experience as a mentor will inspire others to take advantage of this program
and mentor a young girl.
How has your relationship with your mentee
impacted you?
My relationship with
Melissa has made me realize how simple life can be. I think a lot of
times we get stuck in the day-to-day life and lose sight of what really
matters. I am a true believer that relationships are everything in life
and my relationship with Melissa is one that will be for a lifetime. I
hold her very near and dear to my heart and I’m so thankful that she is in my
life.
What do you admire about your mentee?
Her ambition and her
“I can take on the world” attitude. Her confidence is very admirable
and makes me extremely proud. I think it’s crucial for girls to have a
strong sense of self and esteem.
What advice would you give to new mentors
or those considering mentorship?
If
you decide to mentor, do it 110%. 50% will not work. You must commit and
be consistent and reliable. These girls look up to us, despite their
shyness and inability to communicate that to us right away, trust me they need
us. It breaks my heart when I see a mentor take on this role and not
fulfill it. More harm is done in that regard. My absolute favorite quote
and something I live by is a quote from Yoda (Star Wars): “Do or do not. There
is no try.”
Also, be patient and
don’t take it personally. With any new relationship, it takes time to
build trust and an understanding. I advise all new mentors to be patient
and allow the relationship to grow. Allow your mentee the time to get to
know you before they let you in. It takes time. And if it doesn’t
work out, then communicate that. Figure out why it didn’t work. Ask
questions. Be interested in knowing what your mentee likes and dislikes,
and what their expectations are from you and vice versa. Again, with any
relationship building trust and communication are key to a healthy
relationship.
~ ~ ~
Girls Today Women Tomorrow accepts inquiries for mentors and mentees on a rolling basis. To become a mentor or mentee, please visit the GTWT website or e-mail Molly Robertson, Programs Director, at mrobertson@gtwt.org.


No comments:
Post a Comment